I know that many times you head to Ikea vow never to return. It’s like a vortex in there – you lose all track of time and always come out buying things you did not know you ever needed.
That said, Ikea do have some super practical and affordable items that can help you set up your children’s spaces at home. So here are my top Ikea picks for Montessori children.
1. TROFAST basis element €29,95 – turned on its side without any of the shelf fittings, it makes a perfect low shelf. If you are handy you can fix one on top of another to add an extra shelf. Secure well.
2. TROFAST Wandopberger € 36.95 – this wall unit could be placed on the floor and without any of the shelf fittings makes a solid shelf
3. SKOGSTA bank €39,95 – this low bench could also be used as a low shelf
4. KALLAX open kast (various sizes) – even the biggest KALLAX shelf can be used by the whole family: use the top two shelves to store your books, and the lower shelves for the younger children
5. LACK tv unit €10 – this unit will hold about two baskets on each shelf. A cost effective solution
6. BESTA (various sizes) – these white shelves are simple and practical. Build them to fit your space, but my favourite is the basic element 120x40x38 cm with one shelf
Low table and chairs
1. KRITTER table €19,95 and chair €12,95 – cut 10cm off the legs of both the table and chair and you have a great set for children under 3 years
2. LÄTT table and chair set €19,95 for table and 2 chairs – again cut down the legs
1. BEKVAM kruidenrekje €2,99 – this spice rack can be mounted on the wall at your child’s height to hold books
2. FLISAT wandopberger € 14,95 – this also mounts nicely to the wall to hold books front facing for easy choice
3. FLISAT Boekenstandaard €19,95 – this is a nice small unit to place books
4. MOSSLANDA Schilderijenplank, wit €8,99 – these are the ones I use in my classroom, hung at a low height they are great to display books
1. KRITTER bedframe €69,95 – a junior bed with side rail that a child can climb in and out of independently from around 15 months
2. SNIGLAR bedframe €49,95 – another junior bed with side rail
3. SYVDE Open kledingkast, wit, 80×123 cm € 89.95 – would make a great children’s wardrobe
4. BESTA (various) – get creative and put together 4 square cupboards, add some hanging elements and drawers and you have a customised wardrobe that the children can access themselves
5. UTÅKER stackable bed, pine, 80×200 cm € 139.-/2 pack – this has been recommended by a Montessori family and comes as a set of 2 single beds which stack for older children
1. RÅSKOG roltafel €39,95 – this is a rollable trolley perfect for children to pack away their dirty dishes, or to store children’s plates and glasses
2. BEKVÄM Opstapje/kruk, berken €9,99 – this stool can be IKEA-hacked into a learning tower
1. FLISAT Knoppenrek met 4 knoppen €4,99 – hooks placed at a low height can allow the child to hang their jacket, bag and rain clothes by themselves
2. KLÄDE Knoppenrek met 3 knoppen €6,99 – another options for hooks (not currently available in NL)
3. Various full length mirrors
Art & Craft
1. MOPPE miniladekast (2 sizes) – wooden storage with little drawers, perfect for storing art and craft supplies
3. MALA tekenbord €17,95 – this easel is great value. Again cut 10 cm off the legs so your child can reach easily. This is the one I’ve been using in my classroom for the last 8 years!
4. DUKTIG bakset €9,99 – great baking set for use with playdough
5. DIGNITET Staalkabel, roestvrij staal €6,79 – a curtain wire complete with clips to hang up paintings
6. KUNGSFORS Stang, roestvrij staal €5,99 – meant to be used in the kitchen, combine this wall rail with little storage containers hung off it and you have a space to hold pencils, marker pens etc
1. EKORRE hanging swing €32,90 – this is a popular place to hang out in our class (look for second hand – no longer available)
2. MULA loopwagen €24,95 – an affordable push wagon for children learning to walk
3. IKEA PS 2014 Evenwichtsbank €49,95 – balance beam for active kids (look for second hand – no longer available)
4. DRAGAN badkamerset €9,99 – a 2 piece box set that is meant for the bathroom but is great to store small parts, beads, lego, or a sewing activity
5. TROGEN Voetenbank/kruk €17,95 – this is an attractive stool to help kids reach things in higher places
6. Various trays, baskets and bowls for arranging activities – too many to name!
7. Various storage containers and built in wardrobes – so you can store most of your toys and rotate them when necessary
I would love to hear your favourites too. Let me know by dropping me a note here.